Sunday, June 6, 2010

First Draft of a Letter to My Parents

Now, I don't know if I'll come out to my parents via Letter or in Person yet...it's a decision I'm still making. But, I decided to write a letter, because whether or not I end up using it, it is still a good exercise to help me figure out what to say. So, here is the draft:

Dear Mom & Dad,

I have always appreciated what you've done to support me; and I've really treasured us being able to get to know one another better over the past few years. Having you get to know the "real" me has been very special to me. And I would really love for you to know the things that are most important to me. It's why I'm writing this letter--because I love and respect you enough that I think you deserve to know me more honestly.

I want to preface what I'm about to tell you with this: I'm still the same person I have always been--I haven't changed. So without any further fearful prefacing--here we go; I am a Wiccan. Wicca is an earth-based religion. We focus on attuning ourselves to the cycles of the seasons. Wicca has a lot of negative stereotypes and is often discriminated against (which is what makes it a difficult thing to tell your parents). There are some things I feel I need to tell you about what Wicca is not. It is not a devil-satan worshiping religion and "black" magic is not promoted by this religion. It is generally accepted within Wicca that whatever actions you take will be returned to you threefold; so, if you do good things you will receive goodness, if you do negative things you will receive negativity. The idea is similar to Karma or the Golden Rule.

My religion is very important to me. It's an integral part of who I am, which is why I am compelled to tell you. I hope you can respect this part of me--it's important to me that you do.

With much love,
Me


Thoughts, opinions and comments would be much appreciated.

1 comment:

  1. It is brief but simple and direct. I like it because it doesn't ramble but still addresses some of the initial fears they might have when reading it.

    Might just steal it myself.

    ReplyDelete