Saturday, November 27, 2010

Black Friday Hate?

Hello!

First of all: Happy Belated Thanksgiving to all! I hope you had a great day. Second of all: Happy Black Friday to all! I hope you had a great day, whatever that means to you.

It's funny, watching FaceBook over the past 24 hours; there's so much Black Friday Hate. Either people are excited or they hate it. I usually go Black Friday shopping. This year I saved about 65% off the regular prices on my purchases and I'm done with all my shopping for Christmas. I've just got some hand-made things to finish up. My Black Friday Experiences have always been good. I've never seen a mob, I've never been pushed or shoved, but I do have a cardinal Black Friday Rule; "Have a I don't care attitude at all times." For example: what you wanted to buy is sold out, instead of finding someone holding that item wrestling them down and ripping it from their hands say, "I don't care, I'll find something better or the same at another store." Another example: People in line infront of you are fighting and start getting really close to you, instead of saying Black Friday is terrible, I'm never doing this again, say "Wow, they're crazy, but I don't care." And then walk to the next line over to get away from the crazies (although this has never happened to me). Unless you are the kind of person who can go with the flow, then you shouldn't go a Black Fridaying, but don't hate on it just because it's not your style.

Additionally, I've found a lot of people saying Black Friday=Commercial=Bad. Ok, yes, the holidays should not be only about the commercial. But, spending some time picking something special for the people in your life that you care about is not commercial--it's kind and in some cases the least you can do. I just go Black Fridaying because the prices are really good that day, I can get it all out of the way in one day, and the extra money in my budget from getting things cheaper allows me to spend almost a third of my Christmas budget on a Salvation Army Angel Tree child.

Every day is what you make of it; if you decide a day is terrible and you let it make you feel icky all day, that's on you, not the day. Also, judging a whole group of people who go Black Fridaying as crazy and commercial-minded isn't cool. I think it's been well established (or should be at this point) you can't/shouldn't judge a large group of people. There is no way you can understand or know everyone's mindset or thoughts, don't pretend to.

And in closing: Thank you to everyone in my town for being awesome Black Fridayers. I had nice conversations with people in lines, the stores I went to were very well managed for the day, there was no pushing or shoving or cutting or cheating. Everyone was fair and cool. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment