Sunday, November 14, 2010

New Episode

Hello All!

New episode of Shhh! There Are Pagans in Texas will be coming out soonish...tonight or tomorrow. It is editted, it's just a matter of services catching up with me.

In this episode we ended up talking about proselytizing and I had written a prepared statement, which I'd like to also share here:

It is my belief (MY belief) that it is not right to attempt to change people. I believe that change can only originate from the individual. If they don't want to change, they won't, so it's rude to try to impose change on someone who doesn't want/ask for it. If someone has questions about a faith or a religion, then it makes perfect sense for them to seek out people of that religion/faith to learn about it, be it Christian, Wicca, Hindu, Muslim, etc. In my humble opinion that is the appropriate time to share or educate about your faith or religion--when it is asked of you. When people come to you, that is when they are open, or most likely to be open, to hearing what you say and then it is not a confrontation, just a conversation. When someone is attacking or defending, they're in fight or flight mode, survival more. When you're surviving you can't make logical statements or learn anything new.

So, in answer to the question: No, in my humble opinion, we as Pagans, Wiccans, in fact Human Beings of any faith should not proselytize. We should not be confrontational about something as deeply personal as faith. We should have civil interfaith conversations amongst those who want to participate; we should not force these conversations.

When I am approached by a proselytizer, I calmly and politely thank them for the information, end the conversation and move on with my life. They are just doing their job by sharing their faith. It's what they were called to do. And by being polite I am doing what I see as my job: not interfering with others faith, treating others politely, and since they didn't ask (they usually don't) about my faith not sharing. I'm not saying my way of handling it is the best or most appropriate for everyone, just for me. As long as they don't become confrontational or harass or abuse me; then I can handle it gracefully. Only if they were to cross the boundary into rude, mean, or illegal actions would it truly become a problem to me.


I just want to live and let live. Not everyone will agree with me, but by my own statement, that has to be OK.

Enjoy the Episode and have a great week!

Chao!
-Renny

No comments:

Post a Comment