Sunday, January 10, 2010

What I'm Working On

To start, I'm a member of the HRC (Human Rights Campaign) and I truly believe in equality for all...sexual preference, religious choice (or non-choice in some cases), or other. One of my best friends is a gay man. Knowing him and watching him transform from freshly un-closeted (when we met he hadn't been out for too long) into openly gay member of society has been terribly inspirational to me. Hopefully I can be a strong as he's been when it comes time for me to officially come out at the end of the year. He does a lot of good in his community thru volunteer work and by living as a good person; I have the utmost respect for him.

I think we pagans have a lot to learn from the GLBT community. They've faced similar challenges (as their opponents tend to come from the same group of people as ours tend to) and have faced similar fights (being recognized and acknowledged legally). By supporting their quest for equality, I feel it also furthers my pagan community's also.

Now, fortunately for me, the GLBT community is pretty organized (a place where the pagan community tends to greatly differ) and the HRC's website has a number of resources for Coming Out (of the Gay closet) and I'm reading thru those publications these days to see what would be useful for me in my Coming-Out journey. I'll share what I find with you all.

Bright Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment